Friday, September 26

The Covers V2: Blondie 'Denis' Makeup Tutorial



 

So I know it's been more than a few months (no need for specifics) since my last Covers post. Finally the goddesses of internet confidence and spare time have given me some space all to my own. Here my friends is a little YouTube video, I like to think of it more as a "makeup trailer." The look is inspired by the cover of the Blondie 7" for Denis. It was released in 1978 (and this is French pressing).  Debbie Harry, the cheekbone queen of the rock world, is a fashion legend and her makeup never fails to dazzle.









The Basics


Simple Foundation - I'm using a nice satin finish Nyx foundation that I picked up at Ulta before my foray back to Toronto.

Bold but thin eyebrows -Debbie's eyebrow are super defined in this image in that classy late 70s way. I tried to avoid my compulsion to make them fuller.

Under-eyes- I brightened up under my eyes with some concealer. I've using Wake Me Up by Rimmel for a quick and easy fix. Dont forget to apply at the end too, it helps to clean up any fallen shadow.

Bronze and Blush - There is not much happening here in the face illumination department. I stuck to trying, and let me reiterate trying, to make my cheekbones glorious peaks of bone like hers. I added a quick sweep of blush for a tinge of brightness.

The Eyes 


The eyes are the bulk of this look.

I apply a simple nude eyeshadow for the base color. I opted for a super high pigment silver shadow, although a blue-tinted silver would look gorgeous too. The silver must be taken all the way up the eyes on the inside- I'm calling it the "inner brow bone" because yeah...

I apply some white eyeliner on the lid to help the color stick and keep it bold. You can use a primer or a white eyeliner, and you can use it before the shadow.

Then there is a lot of blending involved, unlike the mere 1 minute section of the video shows. I use Ambush, a shadow from the Vice2 palette, and blend that into the crease. On top of that, for more definition I added some black. Blend away.

The key to this look is also to play at the imperfections. Don't try to make it perfect.

I add some liquid liner to the outer corners of my eyes, none on the inside. Debbie's liner comes out really flat and far, unlike the curve of a cat eye. I used some normal true black shadow over the liquid liner and build it up underneath my eyes. I find the look is very dependent on this end-of-the-eye liner. Build and build and blend.

After your eyes are done add a few dozen coats of mascara and your eyes are good to go.

The Lips

I'd call the lip color for this look a satin pinky red (it almost looks like there might be a dash of orange) but I used what I had on hand which is a Too Faced Color Bomb lip plumper and a Rimmel red lipstick. Just make sure it isn't matte and you're all set.


 

Well I hope you all enjoyed this little tutorial and video! I hope to do more of these posts in the future and (cross-my-fingers) not a decade apart. I'm thinking some real dramatic inspiration could come from my favorite albums. It's a pity the music can't be Blondie or Jenny Lewis' new album The Voyager, which is what I was rocking out to during the process.

xo Moira

* Blondie 'Denis' 7" France 1978 (Chrysalis) 

The cover art copyright is believed to belong to the record label or the graphic artist(s). I'm just using the cover for inspiration (Fair Use) and the original photo can be found here: http://www.deborah-harry.com/discography/denisdisco.php

FULL LIST OF  PRODUCTS USED


Face
NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat (Liquid Foundation) SMF02 Nude
 Rimmel Wake Me Up (Concealer) Very Fair


Smashbox Bronze Lights (Bronzer) Suntan Matte

geoGirl QTPi Mineral Blush Pinkie

Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil 001 Dark Brown



Eyes

Kat Von D Spellbinding Eyeshadow Book Countess (nude)
Urban Decay Vice2 Shellshock (silver)

Urban Decay Vice2 Ambush (dark brown)

Kat Von D Spellbinding Eyeshadow Dark Throne (black)

MAC Carbon (true black)

Sephora Nano Eyes Liner 06 Pure White

Joe Fresh Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner Black

Benefit They’re Real Mascara Black



Lips

Too Faced Lip Injection Color Bomb Eastwood Red

Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate 111 Kiss of Life



Brushes

Sephora Mineral Powder 45

Real Techniques Contour Brush

Sephora Blending Shadow

ModelsOwn Shading Brush

Urban Decay Vice2 Double Ended Eyeshadow Brush